Welcome

Here you will find all kinds of snippets of our lives. Team Crothers are followers of Jesus and strive daily to emulate this.







Friday, August 04, 2006

Happy Birthday, Broken Ankle

Here is how Tim spent his birthday July 31st! These two pictures are before surgery. The day before his B-day he was riding bicycles with the kids and Simon started to fall off his bike so Tim jumped off his and when he did he stepped in a pot hole and rolled his ankle just right and broke his tibia and fibula and injured all the ligaments inside. The fracture actually goes all the way up into his shin. He had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital. I was at the store at the time but a neighbor heard Tim yell when he went down and came out and called 911 and then called me. I rushed home and actually got to him before they had him in the ambulance. The guys wife took my kids over my other neighbors house. I ran and told Paige and Simon I was going to the hospital. Simon said" Hey Mom Daddy gets to go in an ambulance!" while Paige's reaction was tears crying "I don't want him to go!" Nixon and I ran to the ER to get them Tim's info before he got there. They did the exrays when we got there and he had broken his tibia and fibula along with injuring all the ligaments inside his ankle. They said he broke it pretty bad and were all pretty amazed at how bad he had done it. They said he would need surgery. They ended up splinting it and sending him home on crutches with pain killers, which confused us. So Tuesday we saw the surgeon, whom is very very good Tim is in great hands, and he was honest with us and said the reason he had Tim sent home was because he was in the middle of another surgery from a mulit-car accident and couldn't have gotten to Tim til about 8-10 hours after the injury. That meant too much time would have gone by and the swelling would have been to great to do surgery. He also said he had been up for 4 days straight at that point and didn't feel he could bring his "A game". He said it was for Tim's benefit to wait til Thursday for surgery. Tim spent basically Sunday through Thursday in a tremendous amount of pain. He's on heavy duty pain meds but this type of injury it doesn't cover up the pain it just manages it. So to make a long story short... Surgery was Thursday he came through it just fine and all went as planned except the incision ended up bigger because of how high the fracture went. He ended up with about 9 screws and a plate up the outer side with two big screws holding that in. In three months he has to have another surgery to remove the plate and 2 big screws. He has to completely stay off it for a couple days then can start going around with his crutches but he can bear no weight whatsoever for 2 months. He can return to work in 2-3 weeks but only to sit there with his leg up. He is in a plaster splint for two weeks and then will get stitches out and put into an airboot for the rest of the time. And it's his right leg so I suppose that means I will be driving him when he does go back to work. Hmmm Tim to work at 8 Paige to school at 8:30 and Simon 2 days a week to pre-school at 8:30. Nixon and I will be running all over! As if that wasn't enough drama going on I was driving home with the kids from Costco and Paige asked if she could eat a piece of hard candy she got at church. I of course said yes. Well she popped it in and I drove over a bump and you guessed it she started to choke on it. I heard her make a funny noise and looked in the rear view mirror and her face was red and eyes panicked. I don't even think I completely stopped the car. I pulled over slammed it in park jumped out, opened the back door which happened to be where Nixon was. I flew over Nixon yanked her out of her seat and did the heimlich maneuver on her twice and then it popped out. It felt like slow motion. The thought ran threw my head can I do this right, oh my gosh what if it doesn't come out, can I do CPR. You know you know how to do things but in the moment you don't know how you are going to react. It all happen in a matter of seconds but it amazes me how much flew through my mind. So I had to take a few moments of course to calm myself down before driving the rest of the way home. I prayed with her and thanked God she was ok. I asked her if she could breathe and she said tears running down her face "No mommy it took all my breath away I thought I was going to die." I told her it scared me too and that God takes care of us and let me know what to do. So I am a bit worn out and tired but all is starting to calm down now. Hopefully the rest of us stay all intact with nothing serious. This is day one after surgery so Tim will be pretty sore for a bit but will start heading to feeling better and I will get the hang of taking care of everything right????? We have had some wonderful friends help with the kids during surgery and meals and things which I am so thankful for. It's all working out. Sorry this was such a long post but it's been a while and I thought I would just knock it all out in one since I am a bit busier now and don't have much time to sit and add to the blog. Nixon stayed with me the whole time at the hospital and did great, not a peep out of him and he was all smiles for all the nurses and doctors. Here is couple pictures at the hospital. Can you tell baseball was on the TV? Like father like son! Nixon took a nap on Daddy at the hospital. He actually took his whole hour nap with Daddy it was so cute. And I wasn't about to wake them up.















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tim & Angie & children,
Thank God all is well!!! I will pray for your health: body, mind and spirit.
Love to all,
Kay